As the heating season approaches here are some low cost no cost tips to help reduce your energy bill.
1. Seal Drafts. Keep doors and windows closed and block all gaps, cracks and openings to the outdoors.
2. Turn down the thermostat while at home. Set your thermostat to 68 degrees or lower to heat your home. Each degree lower is the equivalent of 3% reduction in heating costs.
3. Set your thermostat at 55 or 60 degrees when you are away for an extended time. Especially in zones that freeze.
4. Heat only when at home and awake. If you have resistant heat such as ceiling heat, wall heaters or baseboards, turn down the thermostat before you go to bed at night & when you are away from home.
5. Clean heat sources. Clean furnace filters regularly during the heating season and follow manufacturer's recommendations for replacing filters. Filters help clean air and keep the furnace operating more safely and efficiently.